Nepomuk constraints

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Oct 11 20:47:12 UTC 2011

On Di, 2011-10-11 at 22:05 +0200, Stefan Werden wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> we have identified this problem as well. I think in Plasma Active ONE the
> priority went really to "Make the new user experience happen". Indeed, there are
> some negative impacts of deamons that eating up heavily resources. Be sure we
> are working on this topic to speed up things. We made progress during the
> development. The live image is about 3-5 times faster compared to the first
> prototype sticks. And probaly we need to do this again!
> The problem with these deaemons came up, because a normal low cost stick can
> read with about 6-10 Mb/s and write 2,5-3,5 MB/s write. So if you start indexing
> a 80MB oder 1.5 GB during firstboot of the stick this is more or less "Game
> Over". If you take a faster stick the usb 2.0 normaly is not fast enough. USB3
> will be better.
> So if you have a normal disk with 70 MB/s+,  this just takes seconds what will
> last a minute or more on a stick or an embedded device.
>
> So we need to find solutions for "low performance hardware".
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Stefan

Thank you for your detailed answer.

The problems you mentioned are rather serious for the live stick case,
but what I was talking about happens when you install PA1 on the device
as well. I have stopped using the live system after the first try
because it was just too slow to actually use, so yes, this definitely
needs more work ;)
But even after I installed the Meego image on the Wetab, indexing still
takes quite long even if there are no new files to index. This is what
bothers me.

Sorry again for my criticism these days, but if we say "product", even
"minimal product", I accept very limited functionality but I expect this
functionality to run smoothly enough to not annoy me, at least if I
install something on my device. If a live system running from a usb
stick is a bit slower, that's okay (if it's responsive enough to at
least somehow use it).

We can't change things for PA1 anymore, but for PA2 I think we should be
able to offer users something they may replace their pre-installed OS
with without regret (if they accept that some things just aren't there
yet). And this includes responsiveness.

Cheers,
Thomas