Nepomuk constraints

Stefan Werden Stefan.Werden at open-slx.de
Tue Oct 11 20:05:03 UTC 2011

Thomas,

we have identified this problem as well. I think in Plasma Active ONE the
priority went really to "Make the new user experience happen". Indeed, there are
some negative impacts of deamons that eating up heavily resources. Be sure we
are working on this topic to speed up things. We made progress during the
development. The live image is about 3-5 times faster compared to the first
prototype sticks. And probaly we need to do this again!
The problem with these deaemons came up, because a normal low cost stick can
read with about 6-10 Mb/s and write 2,5-3,5 MB/s write. So if you start indexing
a 80MB oder 1.5 GB during firstboot of the stick this is more or less "Game
Over". If you take a faster stick the usb 2.0 normaly is not fast enough. USB3
will be better.
So if you have a normal disk with 70 MB/s+,  this just takes seconds what will
last a minute or more on a stick or an embedded device.

So we need to find solutions for "low performance hardware".

Hope this helps

Stefan

Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> hat am 11. Oktober 2011 um 21:42
geschrieben: