Fwd: Unlocking for Plasma Active 2

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Oct 9 10:27:02 UTC 2011

On Sunday 09 October 2011 11:17:13 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Unless the whole disk is encrypted, if someone steals your device, he will
> > get your data anyways. So unless we do encryption, the only purpose of
> > the lock
> Don't get me wrong, I didn't post this because I think it is bad to
> provide a lockscreen like this, just to point out that it shouldn't
> take too much time for us to:
>
> - devise a secure solution, since it can't be done
> - having PAM integration as a prerequisite
you are both right :-)

Obviously we cannot create a system which is secure against attacks when the
attacker has physical access to the system (cold boot attacks, grub attack).
So we don't need to secure against that (same is true for general screen
locker on desktop).

On the other hand we have to make it so secure that it should hold against
trivial attacks.

Just an idea I had: what about doing something like face recognizion? We have
a web cam...

Cheers
Martin