Forum activity

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:18:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:40:57 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> I just took a look at the official Plasma Active forum
>
>> (http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=211) and saw that the majority of
>
>> posts is unanswered since several weeks there.
>
> it's pretty much impossible to develop the software and pay attention to the
> forums as well; both end up taking a lot of time on their own ;)
>
> for the forums to succeed, we need users who can help other users and triage
> difficult questions to the developers for (hopefully quick) answers that can
> then be relayed back to the forums
>
> it's really no different than 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc levels of support in a
> commercial product in that way
>
> --
>
> Aaron J. Seigo

I sent a guy to the forum with a question about installing PA on
openSUSE 12.1. He was answered there within a couple of days...by
directing him back to the installation instructions. I think that
community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Installation had changed since his
original inquiry.

Keeping the PA wiki up to date and staying on top of forum.kde.org
provide a sustainable knowledge base. They can also support each
other. These tools are superior to interruptions and fleeting comments
on IRC#active. They also show an engaged community to newcomers who
can't get the same impression from dipping into IRC. A vibrant
community will go a long way toward PA adoption. We don't really have
many ways for getting the word out.

It makes sense for forum.kde.org > KDE software > Plasma Active
(http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=211) to be as much a hub of
activity as possible. KDE is the source of a lot of publicity. We
certainly need to assist users--which the open-slx forum is doing. But
we also need to gather momentum and the KDE forum seems like an
excellent avenue for that.

You can get email notifications from the Plasma Active forum through
the User Control Panel link (on the left of the top grey bar). In the
left menu "Manage subscriptions".

Carl