TabBox based window strip

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Nov 28 19:23:08 UTC 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 18:38:27 you wrote:
> yep, it works really well, so much faster ;) looking at it makes it really
> really wanting it for pa2.
yeah and there is still potential to improve. E.g. the Model get's recreated
whenever a window is removed (used to be the safest way for the effects).
> only one minor glitch, the thumbnails disappear as soon they touch the
> screen edge instead of going offscreen
I added a check to not render the thumbnails if they would overlap the TabBox.
It looked rather bad in the normal TabBox. Here it makes sense and I could
just add a property clip to control this.

> > And now to the fun stuff:
> > qdbus org.kde.kwin /TabBox start false
>
> just little api nitpick: instead of start/close either start/stop or even
> better open/close just for symmetry
good point, I'll change to start/stop.

> > which starts TabBox in non-modal mode (that means KWin does not eat all
> > click events). You can flick around, close windows and click on an item to
> > select it and TabBox goes away.
> >
> > Feedback welcome.
>
> i only taken a superficial look at the code, where one should look/what
> should be done to implement the control via the atom? that is what's
> absolutely needed to be used there
If the atoms are set on the desktop (sticky) and on the panel (sync) I can
take care of the KWin parts. It needs adjustments in the Client class and
TabBox. Not trivial but also not complex.

Cheers
Martin