TabBox based window strip

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Nov 29 06:04:01 UTC 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 20:23:08 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Monday 28 November 2011 18:38:27 you wrote:
> > yep, it works really well, so much faster ;) looking at it makes it really
> > really wanting it for pa2.
>
> yeah and there is still potential to improve. E.g. the Model get's recreated
> whenever a window is removed (used to be the safest way for the effects).
> > only one minor glitch, the thumbnails disappear as soon they touch the
> > screen edge instead of going offscreen
>
> I added a check to not render the thumbnails if they would overlap the
> TabBox. It looked rather bad in the normal TabBox. Here it makes sense and
> I could just add a property clip to control this.
>
> > > And now to the fun stuff:
> > > qdbus org.kde.kwin /TabBox start false
> >
> > just little api nitpick: instead of start/close either start/stop or even
> > better open/close just for symmetry
>
> good point, I'll change to start/stop.
I changed to open/close due to the fact that close was already used inside the
code.

> If the atoms are set on the desktop (sticky) and on the panel (sync) I can
> take care of the KWin parts. It needs adjustments in the Client class and
> TabBox. Not trivial but also not complex.
I realized we only need one atom for the sticky window. Everything else we can
do through DBus. I'll add another method:
void openEmbedded(qulonglong wid, QRect geometry);
This could be invoked by the panel and it connects to the tabBoxClosed()
signal which gets emitted when the user clicks an item. That way we don't have
to fiddle around with setting the atoms & co.

Cheers
Martin