TabBox based window strip

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:38:27 UTC 2011

On Sunday 27 November 2011, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as promised I spent some time on the TabBox based window strip and it looks
> good :-)

you know that we love you don't you? ;)

> I pushed everything done so far into branch kwin/tabbox-window-strip on
> kde- workspace [1]. What's still missing is the X Atom integration, but it
> has DBus integration.
>
> How to use: check out the branch, compile, edit kwinrc
> [TabBox]
> LayoutName=window_strip
>
> restart kwin: kwin --replace &
> Now Alt+Tab will use the window_strip QML layout and can be used as known.

yep, it works really well, so much faster ;) looking at it makes it really
really wanting it for pa2.
only one minor glitch, the thumbnails disappear as soon they touch the screen
edge instead of going offscreen

> And now to the fun stuff:
> qdbus org.kde.kwin /TabBox start false

just little api nitpick: instead of start/close either start/stop or even
better open/close just for symmetry

> which starts TabBox in non-modal mode (that means KWin does not eat all
> click events). You can flick around, close windows and click on an item to
> select it and TabBox goes away.
>
> Feedback welcome.

i only taken a superficial look at the code, where one should look/what should
be done to implement the control via the atom? that is what's absolutely
needed to be used there