active boot time traces, some time later..

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:56:46 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 23 November 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 23:23:45 Marco Martin wrote:
> > effect to replace it is on the way and this should make everything much
> > faster, in loading and painting (the bad news is that with so many
> > changes we have to cope already, there is no way on earth is going to
> > make it for active two ;)
>
> hm.. what's left to do with the kwin effect at this point?

it is possible now to control thumbnails with qml in kwin now.
i think remains to do the actual effect, the stuff to control it via xatoms,
qml for it..

i can give a try, but given how much workspace is already changed and how much
we're struggling to get things working again i don't know if it's wise

> > the clock... that one is very bad as well and takes time in mostly two
> > things: instantiating the calendar (so still there even if the popup is
> > disabled)
>
> that is a bug, and i don't see how that's possible given the code that is
> there in clockapplet. however, it might be related to extenders. i just
> committed a patch that removes the extender from the clockapplet, which
> should lighten things anyways. see if that addresses this issue.
>
> if not, we need to look into this further as it's pretty important not to
> create that calendar.

yep, that's better now, no more extender creation, and can already be felt
when starting :)
configChanged is still pretty heavy..

> > and restoring of the configuration (clockconfigchanged)
>
> my guess would be that it's mostly spending time in Clock::generatePixmap
> from Clock::updateSize in the digital-clock applet? if so, we could
> probably delay that.

likely is that. i would like to maintain the textured text tough, so maybe
delaying it would be good (still kinda thinking that it has so less corner
case than on the desktop that a reimplementation could make sense)