active boot time traces, some time later..

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Nov 23 16:47:43 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 23 November 2011 11:56:46 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 November 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 22, 2011 23:23:45 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > effect to replace it is on the way and this should make everything much
> > > faster, in loading and painting (the bad news is that with so many
> > > changes we have to cope already, there is no way on earth is going to
> > > make it for active two ;)
> >
> > hm.. what's left to do with the kwin effect at this point?
>
> it is possible now to control thumbnails with qml in kwin now.
> i think remains to do the actual effect, the stuff to control it via xatoms,
> qml for it..
Yes, TabBox can render thumbnails which makes it possible to use TabBox for
window strip. The "difficult" part is to control the TabBox from external. I
have a patch floating around to make TabBox working without holding "Alt" key
and we need to pass the atoms. I'm thinking there of two atoms:
* _KDE_TABBOX_STICKY: to mark the shell as first item in list
* _KDE_TABBOX_CONTROL_REGION: to sync panel with the TabBox

Both requires small changes in TabBox, so it's probably really too late for
PA2.

> i can give a try, but given how much workspace is already changed and how
> much we're struggling to get things working again i don't know if it's wise
I try to schedule it for this weekend (given that screen locker is in a state
that I don't want to work on it any more :-P I am free for something new)

Cheers
Martin