resources, plasmoids and hacks

Fania Jöck fania.joeck at basyskom.de
Thu Jun 9 15:36:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

>>if the widgets are not related to the activity, i don't think it makes sense.
>>otherwise we end up mixing two different kinds of items: those that are
>>context/recommendation sensitive and those that aren't, those that have the
>>attributes of plasmoids (configuration, manual creation via the 'add widgets'
>>ui, etc..) and those that don't.

well, basically all elements in a activity are there because they are relevant for the user. if they are context sensitive or if the system can give recommendations on them, is only of minor priority.
I think that the user arranges himself a workspace where he wants all the information and data needed to solve that problem/task at once. so gathering all relevant elements in one screen, that could be files, contacts, widgets, whatever, would be helpful in that situation. otherwise he has to search for data in the activity itself, and change the desktop to some other to get the information needed from the widgets etc....
To make sure that the user gets the difference between the different interaction possibilities, like context menu or settings, is a task for the UI design that should be solvable.

> in any case, i understood Marco's idea to be more that context pages are used
> also for non-contextual plasmoids?

what do you mean by context pages? for example "non-contextual"
plasmoids, like a wheather widget might be highly important in the
context of planning my next hiking trips, that could be one activity,
right? So it would belong to the context then.... or did I misunderstand
you here?

My2cents,
Fania