resources, plasmoids and hacks

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 10 00:57:14 CEST 2011

On Thursday, June 9, 2011 15:36:33 Fania Jöck wrote:
> > in any case, i understood Marco's idea to be more that context pages are
> > used also for non-contextual plasmoids?
>
> what do you mean by context pages? for example "non-contextual"
> plasmoids, like a wheather widget might be highly important in the
> context of planning my next hiking trips, that could be one activity,

imo that would make the plasmoid contextual (and we should, in fact, make this
easy to achieve by making it easy to ask for such things as the "contextually
appropriate geographical location").

however, i would (as a user) also generally want a collection of widgets that
isn't related to anything at all aside from my general interests. e.g. a
widget showing the newsfeed from CNN.com or the public transit plasmoid. this
could be achived by using an activity that has no particular contextual
meaning to me, but that sounds to me like working around the system. having
one 'canvas' that is non-contextual would be very convenient and likel a
common need.

as for mixing general plasmoids with contour resource plasmoids on the same
page, my biggest concern there is presenting a consistent way for the user of
the device to add and alter all objects being shown. if it is a weather
plasmoid or a contour resource, there should not be multiple interaction
patterns.

so .. there are two sets of interaction questions here imho:

* how to present a consistent way to manage the objects on a contour page,
when some are inherently contextual (resources) and others less so ("generic"
plasmoids)

* how to easily give the user a space to place things that have no actual
context without asking them to "route around" the contextual nature of contour
activities

humru othro a kohnu se