kdeworkspace for Plasma Active

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 16:50:29 CEST 2011

On Monday, July 25, 2011 15:31:43 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 25 July 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi..>
> > i went through and did a survey of kdeworkspace for use in Plasma
> > Active.> here are the things i believe we need to keep from it:>
> > kcheckpass> ksmserver> ksplash (w/qml?)> kstyles/oxygen> kwin> powerdevil>
qguiplatformplugin_kde> solid/modemmanager-0.4 (should be in networkmanagement
module anyways?)> statusnotifierwatcher>
> > plasma/> =======> generic/>
> >     aplets/>
> >         analog-clock>         battery>         calendar>
devicenotifier>         digital-clock>         quicklaunch>         system-
monitor>         webbrowser
> those applets should probably be replaced, evetually

by QML things, probably, yes. and those QML replacements should live in kde-
workspace and be used in Plasma Desktop as well. so i don't think their
replacements will change anything.

if the plan was to put the replacements in plasma-mobile, then there's
something being lost in the planning process here :)

> another on that list, notifications, since the replacement is
> not ready yet

i already made the switch over in the configuration in plasma-mobile. it's
easy to switch back, of course, but i'd rather see the active notifications
plasmoid get attention and potentially therefore fixes / improvements.

it's the kind of thing that would make for a great blog entry looking for new
contributors :)

> >     dataengines>     runners>     scriptengines>     shells>
wallpapers>
> > libs/> ====> kephal> kworkspace> oxygen> plasmaclock> plasmagenericshell>
solid
> maybe kephal, kworkspace, plasmagenericshell aren't 100% necessary?

kephal: i don't think we'll need it unless we wish devices to behave nicely
with multiple screens. given some of what is already happening in the device
space, i think we should plan for this. it's certainly not first release
material, and i can see what doesn't build in the tablet profile if i disable
it though.

kworkspace: it might be unecessary; i'll see what breaks without it and report
back when i know.

plasmagenericshell: indeed; this would be currently unused. i will remove it
from the profile. i do think we should add some scripting to the mobile shell
at some point, however, and it may be nice to not duplicate that code or risk
a separate, non-standard API. i could break that code out from
plasmagenericshell if we wanted to keep things slim.

currently plasmagenericshell contains:

* widget explorer
* mouse plugins config
* wallpaper config ui
* shadows for panels
* toolbutton widget
* scripting

the widget explorer uses Kephal (though that could likely be replaced with a
bit of work). breaking out scripting is probably the easiest path forward for
this, though using it would still give us a potentially uncomfortable
dependency between plasma-mobile and kde-workspace. there already is a
_runtime_ dependency there for proper function due to use of plasmoids that
exist in kde-workspace, however.

> > maybe> =====> libs/kdm> kdm
> don't think kdm is used at all, at least on meego (where just doesn't
workbtw)

ok .. the reason i asked is i've seen it on the tablets running balsam when
something Fails(tm) and x.org crashes or similar. if we really don't need it,
and can reliably force autologin, then we can move that out for sure.

> > here are the things we don't need (and some reasons why):
> solid, really?

yep. there are two kcm's, neither of which are useful on devices (one sets the
backend selection which is non-configurable on devices; the other customizes
hotplug actions).

then there are some tools to poke solid with. also uninteresting in the base
packages in this form factor.

the rest is network management stuff, and all of that lives in the
networkmanagement git repository. the bits that are in workspace ought to be
there as well.

humru othro a kohnu se