Mer launch on Freescale i.MX53 QSB

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 03:14:22 UTC 2011

Em Saturday 31 December 2011, Simonas L. escreveu:
> On 31 December 2011 01:27, Lamarque V. Souza <lamarque at kde.org> wrote:
> > Em Friday 30 December 2011, Simonas L. escreveu:
> >> Dear all,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I have had success in first boot steps of KDE Active Plasma on i.MX53
> >> QSB [1]
> >
> > That is really great.
> >
> >> rootfs was built on 20th Dec 2011 using Mer's build system with the
> >> KickStart file [2], using Archos G9 KickStart [3] as a reference.
> >> For boot-loader and kernel I used Ubuntu's MX5 prebuilt images [4]
> >>
> >> X Server loaded correctly with omapfb driver.
> >>
> >> Sadly KDE did not complete booting and the splash/background image [1]
> >> switched to black-screen and popped an error [5]
> >
> > Sometimes the first Plasma Active 2 (PA2) boot can take several minutes,
> > probably because nepomuk is rebuilding the database. The screen remains
> > black for a couple of minutes here when that happens.
>
> Ok, I waited another 15 minutes, and got the crash window of
> kactivitymanagerd (Seg Fault)
>
> Another 10-15mins and I got the beautiful screen of locked KDE PA2:
> http://static.inky.ws/image/1059/image.jpg
>
> I could not "catch" unlock using the hidden mouse, so executed `rpm -e
>
> plasma-mobile-mouse` and rebooted as per:
> > There is no mouse pointer is hidden in PA, you need to uninstall the
> > package plasma-mobile-mouse and restart Xorg to make it visible:
> >
> > http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Info/FAQ#How_do_I_get_a_Mouse_Curs
> > or.3F
>
> After this reboot I get black-screen all the time after initial splash
> screen [1] (interestingly, I can pan the screen Left/Right with arrow
> keys)
>
> The black-screen now unfortunately stays indefinitely (for good last
> 30mins). I noticed with `top` that virtuoso-t is taking upto >75% CPU.
> Killing it and nepomuk* did not cure the black-screen problem.

	By the slowness in the boot process it looks like your system does not
have much RAM and/or your storage is very slow for random disk access. I got
that slow boot process when I boot PA2 from a live CD. How much RAM memory
does your system have? PA2 takes about 400 MB here and most devices that run
it have 1 GB of RAM. If your system does not have enough memory the kernel's
OOM killer will start to kill processes. Anyway, PA2 relies on 3D acceleration
for some things. In some systems it can be very slow without 3D.

	If you can disable nepomuk and other services by removing some files
from /usr/share/autostart/ (I think only contour.desktop, plasma-
device.desktop and plasma-keyboardshell.desktop are mandatories) and
/usr/share/kde4/apps/startactive/modules (you can remove nepomuk.module, and
test*). If you can pass the kernel parameter 3 to make it boot into runlevel
3. Do not use runlevel 1 or the system will close the consoles and you will
not be able to type commands.