[WORKING_VIDEO] Re: Mer launch on Freescale i.MX53 QSB

Simonas L. sledgeas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 14:47:12 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I got it launching!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fxo8b0HKU

Now onto clean-up and optimisations.

Short story long; here's how I got it to work:

On 31 December 2011 03:14, Lamarque V. Souza <lamarque at kde.org> wrote:
> Em Saturday 31 December 2011, Simonas L. escreveu:

My mistake, the actually used one by Xorg is fbdev.

>> > There is no mouse pointer is hidden in PA, you need to uninstall the
>> > package plasma-mobile-mouse and restart Xorg to make it visible:
>> > http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Info/FAQ#How_do_I_get_a_Mouse_Cursor.3F

I did that, but still no mouse cursor visible :{

> By the slowness in the boot process it looks like your system does not have
> much RAM and/or your storage is very slow for random disk access. I got that
> slow boot process when I boot PA2 from a live CD. How much RAM memory does
> your system have? PA2 takes about 400 MB here and most devices that run it
> have 1 GB of RAM.

Freescale i.MX53 QSB has 1 GB RAM. Once into black-screen boot, `free`
reports ca. 600 MB "free".

But my µSD-Card is category 2 only. Will try a faster one soon.
Currently every time it boots from Xorg start to the Home screen in 4
minutes (Welcome screen [9] is gone now(!?)...)
`free` reports 435 MB.

Here's how I got it working:

> If you can disable nepomuk and other services by removing some files from
> /usr/share/autostart/ (I think only contour.desktop, plasma-device.desktop
> and plasma-keyboardshell.desktop are mandatories) and
> /usr/share/kde4/apps/startactive/modules (you can remove nepomuk.module, and
> test*). If you can pass the kernel parameter 3 to make it boot into runlevel
Cannot fiddle with U-Boot here :( Next week will do.
> 3. Do not use runlevel 1 or the system will close the consoles and you will
> not be able to type commands.

Done all of the above. Rebooted - no effect. Created /etc/inittab with
id:3:initdefault: , ran telinit 5, restarted Xorg - no effect, still
black screen.
Rebooted again (`who -r` reported runlevel 5 still), and for some
surprise reason this time (and all times afterwards) got KDE PA2 it
booting and usable (to certain extent)! Mouse is alive, but invisible
[10]

Looks fairly OK, provided I need to clean-up, get Category 4 Micro
SD-Card, put in xserver-xorg-video-imx, look for libGLESv2, and
understand what caused that black-screen problem.

Making that mouse cursor visible would be very helpful from you fellows :)

[9] http://static.inky.ws/image/1062/image.jpg
[10] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fxo8b0HKU

--
Simonas