Guts of active-settings

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Dec 21 10:12:50 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:03:44 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 December 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > It would also be cool, if we had an easy way to offer this kind of
> > functionality to apps (so one can, in pure QML) write a configuration
> > interface for ones app -- either by starting active-settings
> > org.kde.active.settings.mycoolapp, or by embedding it somehow. (The
> > former of course needing a mechanism to sync config across processes.
> > Specific modules can be opened right away, by using the plugin name of
> > module as argument to active-settings, much like kcmshell4. (It
> > currently lacks the --list argument, though.)
>
> from one side i would really like applications config listed in the
> setting  app.
> on the other hand, this can end up very quickly as a giant list.

That's what I fear, too. A central place for settings sounds very tempting,
though.

> in any case yeah if the module itself can be loaded as a plugin anywhere,
> we  will be able to both display it in the app or in the config app.

So that would mean moving the container which hosts the module (and exports
the Config* bindings) into mobilecomponents?

> for the config changes across process, don't see other solution than a
> file  watcher, that is not so light, but shouldn't be as impactful as it
> seems anyways

Yeah, it's a deeper architectural issue, basically the lack of change signals
in KConfig.

sebas