Guts of active-settings

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:18:01 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 21 December 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > from one side i would really like applications config listed in the
> > setting  app.
> > on the other hand, this can end up very quickly as a giant list.
>
> That's what I fear, too. A central place for settings sounds very tempting,
> though.

what about having an applications entry in the sidebar and then an icon view
identical to the laucher in the main view with everything in? (then a very
carefully chosen whitelist could define who can appear also on the sidebar)

> > in any case yeah if the module itself can be loaded as a plugin anywhere,
> > we  will be able to both display it in the app or in the config app.
>
> So that would mean moving the container which hosts the module (and exports
> the Config* bindings) into mobilecomponents?

hmm, i smell we are ending up basically reimplementing kparts for qml
somehow...

> > for the config changes across process, don't see other solution than a
> > file  watcher, that is not so light, but shouldn't be as impactful as it
> > seems anyways
>
> Yeah, it's a deeper architectural issue, basically the lack of change
> signals in KConfig.

the architecture that comes to my mind would be a dbus object for every
instantiated config, uuuh. (let's stay with watchers for now ;))