Packaging bangarang with "--touch" for Plasma Active

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:22:55 UTC 2011

On Thursday 15 December 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is from the app
> > developer end. I could supply two desktop files, one with and one
> > without the command line option. But that would create multiple
> > desktop entries.  If anyone has any ideas for how to better manage
> > this from my end please let me know.
>
> I've patched the .desktop files, but that "solution" but that kind of sucks
> of course because it's just one more little thing that can break. In the
> Balsam packages, you'll get the touch-friendly UI, though.
>
> Best would be to check for KDE_PLASMA_COMPONENTS_PLATFORM=touch in the
> environment. This variable also makes the Plasma QML Components load the
> touch-optimized version, Bangarang could easily use this as well.

that actually isn't set. by default it checks a config value (and the env var
wins over the config value if set)

would be better to only use that?

but yes, we need a single way to tell everything to behave like on touch.
(thing that would be automagically solved if/when bangarang starts to use
qtcomponents, hint, hint ;)