Packaging bangarang with "--touch" for Plasma Active

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Dec 15 00:18:28 UTC 2011

Hey Andrew,

> I haven't had a chance to install PA2 on my tablet device yet but I
> wanted to mention that the bangarang should be packaged to run with
> the "--touch" command line option by default for all target Plasma
> Active installations. It may already be known but I thought I'd
> explicitly communicate this in case it is not. (A quick hint is if you
> can't flick scroll the playlist or if the bar at bottom with the
> playback controls isn't a very dark grey then the --touch option isn't
> enabled).
>
> I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is from the app
> developer end. I could supply two desktop files, one with and one
> without the command line option. But that would create multiple
> desktop entries.  If anyone has any ideas for how to better manage
> this from my end please let me know.

I've patched the .desktop files, but that "solution" but that kind of sucks of
course because it's just one more little thing that can break. In the Balsam
packages, you'll get the touch-friendly UI, though.

Best would be to check for KDE_PLASMA_COMPONENTS_PLATFORM=touch in the
environment. This variable also makes the Plasma QML Components load the
touch-optimized version, Bangarang could easily use this as well.

sebas