power button on panel

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 14 08:25:54 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 22:23:17 you wrote:
> there is a count down from 5s that suspends the system (sleep) when reaches
> zero. We can increase the timeout but while it is active if the user touches
> anything outside the shutdown dialog's area the dialog will close and the
> system will not sleep.

while definitely an improvement (nice :) this still means that two touches are
always necessary. i still really like the idea of going straight to lock and
integrating auto-sleep with the lock screen. this gives "best of all worlds"
as described in a previous email.

which made me consider the screen locking which has been put into its own
daemon. it only now (*sigh*) occurred to me that putting the lock mechanism in
ksmserver would be a great place for it since ksmserver doesn't have anything
else to do and would allow us to more easily coordinate lock with session
features like lock/shutdown. i'll discuss this with Martin later and see what
he thinks as well ...

> 	I agree that we need to change the icons to match Plasma Active's theme.
> I am not a designer, who can I poke to help me with this?

some notes on the visuals, aside from finding some flat monochrome icons:

* the frame is 1 pixel off on the top and bottom. that's odd :) in the QML i
noticed that there are two FrameSvgItems, one that is the top level item and
one that is a child of it (id: background). both are loading the same SVG.

* every where else in Plasma Active the icon is above the text. that's easy to
fix by swapping the order of text and icon in the Column entries

* the text should follow normal capitalization, e.g. Sleep instead of sleep.
i'd also suggest just "Lock" instead of "lock screen".

* centering the "sleeping in 3 seconds" text would probably look nicer;
putting it on top might also be nicer

humru othro a kohnu se