power button on panel

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Wed Dec 14 00:23:17 UTC 2011

Em Wednesday 07 December 2011, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> On Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:14:56 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> > - Press elsewhere to trigger the other options Lock/Sleep/"smooth"
> > shutdown: the reason for putting software button in the panel was, that
> > I asumed we cannot control every hardware button on any device. So I
> > thought we need another option, in the UI, to offer the user these kind
> > of functionality. Am I wront here? I agree that a duplicate Lock-Mode is
> > not urgently necessary.
>
> you are correct that we won't have control over every hardware button on
> any device, but the power button is exceptionally common (in fact, i don't
> know a tablet device doesn't have one and i now own 4 different tablets
> and have examined at least a dozen others). home, back, etc. are not
> guaranteed but we can rely on the power button.
>
> also, every device we currently support has the power button we need. so
> we're designing for a possibility that we currently don't have any
> examples of :)
>
> the original reasons for the software power button was:
>
> * the power management configuration was not reliable, and this was a work
> around.
>
> * a way to sleep vs shutdown vs lock was desired and this was the quick fix
>
> having an implicit "will sleep in N seconds" upon lock that can be
> cancelled along with the power profile configuration working makes those
> points moot.
>
> > I understood that the current suggestion covers:
> > - Locking -> short press on hw button -> here also the option of putting
> > to sleep
>
> the suggestion is to automatically start a sleep unless stopped manually
> (e.g. by pulling an element across the screen). "lock but don't sleep" is
> just not a common use case with tablets. this approach prioritizes the
> common use case (sleep) while accomodating the use use case for "just
> lock, don't sleep".
>
> > - hard shut down -> long press on hw button
>
> yes, this is a hardware feature ...
>
> > What about the clean shutdown?
>
> unless we are doing session management and/or you have unsaved work
> somewhere, this shouldn't matter much for these sorts of devices.

	Hi all,

	I have tried to address some of the issues discussed, the result is in
the attached screenshot. There is no PowerButton icon on the panel anymore,
there is a count down from 5s that suspends the system (sleep) when reaches
zero. We can increase the timeout but while it is active if the user touches
anything outside the shutdown dialog's area the dialog will close and the
system will not sleep. I have also made changes in the element's size and
positions.

	I agree that we need to change the icons to match Plasma Active's theme.
I am not a designer, who can I poke to help me with this?

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer