power button on panel

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 7 13:17:46 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:14:56 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> - Press elsewhere to trigger the other options Lock/Sleep/"smooth"
> shutdown: the reason for putting software button in the panel was, that
> I asumed we cannot control every hardware button on any device. So I
> thought we need another option, in the UI, to offer the user these kind
> of functionality. Am I wront here? I agree that a duplicate Lock-Mode is
> not urgently necessary.

you are correct that we won't have control over every hardware button on any
device, but the power button is exceptionally common (in fact, i don't know a
tablet device doesn't have one and i now own 4 different tablets and have
examined at least a dozen others). home, back, etc. are not guaranteed but we
can rely on the power button.

also, every device we currently support has the power button we need. so we're
designing for a possibility that we currently don't have any examples of :)

the original reasons for the software power button was:

* the power management configuration was not reliable, and this was a work
around.

* a way to sleep vs shutdown vs lock was desired and this was the quick fix

having an implicit "will sleep in N seconds" upon lock that can be cancelled
along with the power profile configuration working makes those points moot.

> I understood that the current suggestion covers:
> - Locking -> short press on hw button -> here also the option of putting
> to sleep

the suggestion is to automatically start a sleep unless stopped manually (e.g.
by pulling an element across the screen). "lock but don't sleep" is just not a
common use case with tablets. this approach prioritizes the common use case
(sleep) while accomodating the use use case for "just lock, don't sleep".

> - hard shut down -> long press on hw button

yes, this is a hardware feature ...

> What about the clean shutdown?

unless we are doing session management and/or you have unsaved work somewhere,
this shouldn't matter much for these sorts of devices.

humru othro a kohnu se