Image, 5. 12.

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 6 10:52:03 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:28:38 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Monday, December 5, 2011 22:52:39 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > I was quite skeptical during the past weeks, but since last Wednesday
> > > I'm really looking forward to the release date again!
> >
> > this is an opportunity to modify our expectations.
> >
> > we now know, thanks to this experience, that there will be breakages
> > during
> > development and things will at times be more chaotic than ordered as we
> > make
> > necessary changes.
>
> Will these breakages really always be necessary? I read in this list about
> the plan to have an "always stable master", testing bigger changes in
> branches and only merging back to master when they work.

It will become less serious. As an example, during development of Plasma
Desktop, we had periods where you couldn't even start (heck, *compile*) the
desktop, that was expected, we fixed it and it lead to a better design. These
periods, as the product becomes more stable, happen less often, but still they
do happen. It's quite normal for a development life cycle.

It takes a bit of "getting the feeling for it" to judge what is normal,
expected breakage, and what is challenging the next release. (And then you can
still catch this by planning releases in a smart way and a suitable
development cycle that tries to keep unstable code out of master (which will
never succeed 100%).

> > we have also experienced that we can trust each other to work hard on
> > fixing
> > the fallout that occurs. we have experienced that the chaos-creating
> > decisions
> > are made for good reasons and with a clear understanding of the impacts
> > these
> > things decisions will bring in the short term.
>
> I never doubted any of that. I _never_ thought "Those a**holes, why did
> they f§%&ing do that???" I was just frustrated because I could not do the
> work I wanted to do. And knowing that this was for a good reason and would
> eventually get fixed did not really help me at those very moments ;)

> But working with you guys has been great all along and I guess everyone
> working on Plasma Active feels that way, despite momentary frustration.

sebas