Image, 5. 12.

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:07:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> It will become less serious. As an example, during development of Plasma
> Desktop, we had periods where you couldn't even start (heck, *compile*) the
> desktop, that was expected, we fixed it and it lead to a better design. These
> periods, as the product becomes more stable, happen less often, but still they
> do happen. It's quite normal for a development life cycle.

yes, it's something that is in the normal flow of how things work.

what er are doing here is two fold: yes is building a product as
smooth as possible to use for people, and this means no breakages in
releases of course :)

but we are also building a tool that enables other people to build on top of it.
being app developers, 3rd party plugins or just people that want to
join development. and for this we need the best architecture/framework
possible. it's something that the user will never see directly, but
will notice it when there will be more software available, due to high
quality tools to build it.

and this yes means changes (as the whole kde project is experiencing,
with frameworks five) that means yes, some bumps along the path.
i can't say much more than "trust me it's needed", but yeah, that's
the meaning of the discourse ;)