getting images together for 1.0

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Aug 31 14:38:09 UTC 2011

 On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:11:23 +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 15:07:06 Marco Martin wrote:
>> a very important thing for 1.0 is the final demo image since the
>> project
>> mostly will be judged from the finished, ready to run system.
>
> yes; and in that vein i think we need to shift from thinking "demo"
> thinking "product". we can include a set of demo configurations that
> people
> doing demos can put on their tablet. but the defaults ought to be for
> actual
> usage for our users .

 I'd say that 1.0 should be a "Minimum Viable Product"
 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product) rather than a
 demo, which means:
 It should have what's needed to be of actual value to the user. No
 more, no less
 (unless we have enough time to do more).
 Making things shiny is nice, but it won't help if the user can't make
 actual use of the product.
 That's what makes the difference between a tech demo and a product.
 For a tech demo it is okay to say "You can't actually use it yet, but
 this and
 that _will_ be possible in the future and _look at this cool effect_!",
 but if a user
 is supposed to install it on her tablet and use it as its primary UI,
 it has to be
 possible to actually do things she wants to do with it.

 So I'd suggest the following:
 1. Define our target audience (that's already done, if
 http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/GrandMasterPlan#Audience is
 still valid)
 2. Come up with a set of usecases that would make the product useful
 for
 our target audience (or at least the most important sub-group for 1.0)
 3. Try the usecases with our current product
 4. Make it possible to complete the usecases with 1.0

 I can help with defining the usecases and walking through them.

>> * platform specific problems/gripes: there are still some problems
>> that
>> happens only on one of the two, like no multitouch for suse, no
>> network
>> management, weird behaving touch events and outdated opengl on
>> meego..
>> some of those probably is possible to fix some other will have to
>> stay
>
> perhaps we should focus on our own issues first and go after the
> deeper
> integration problems across the OS once we've run out of things to
> clean up in
> our own code.

 I don't know how important the Meego platform is for us, but if it is
 of
 some importance, I think it is quite important to get at least the
 network
 management working for 1.0, since a tablet without WiFi working
 (i.e. without internet access) is not a viable product imho.
 And "Read this blog post to see how to get WiFi working yourself"
 isn't something that would work for a typical tablet user.
 People buy tablets because they want something to surf the internet on
 their sofa or at the kitchen table, not because they want to tinker
 with
 system configuration.
 I'd say that the other platform-specific issues are rather minor
 inconveniences
 compared to the lack of an easy way to configure your WiFi out of the
 box.