getting images together for 1.0

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:38:24 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 30 August 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 15:07:06 Marco Martin wrote:
> > a very important thing for 1.0 is the final demo image since the project
> > mostly will be judged from the finished, ready to run system.
>
> yes; and in that vein i think we need to shift from thinking "demo" to
> thinking "product". we can include a set of demo configurations that people
> doing demos can put on their tablet. but the defaults ought to be for
> actual usage for our users .

yeah, a welcome activity with links to a guide and a video and max 2 other
activities

> >    * kdeplasma-addons: recent fixes to the on screen keyboard contained
> >
> > there
>
> yes; so we need to either start packaging master of plasma-addons or a
> package of just the keyboard. the fixes i've been doing in there over the
> last week are highly significant as they are based on feedback of people
> who have been using it during demos.

from one hand packaging master there would be quite safe since the activity in
that repo is almost zero atm, a separate package for the keyboard also makes
sense since it should be a runtime dependency for the rest i think

> > * konsole: now konsole master supports on screen keyboard
>
> yep, and that's in the packages now, so this is good.

i think still missing in the meego version, but could be wrong

> > * Default applications: the application launcher should show only around
> > a page of apps, all of good quality, even if not all of them "touch
> > version", a common list of what should end up there should be done
>
> agreed. this is something we can get together on irc for once we get closer
> to release day imho.

+1

> related: the Active Browser, Active Image Viewer, etc. names need to change
> imho. just Web Browser, Image Viewer, etc. should be good enough. the user
> doesn't care that they are "Active", no?

mind reading at work, since yesterday the user facing name is "Images" and
"Browser" (chose a single word for how much better the layout looks with very
short names)
if we manage to have a page of applications with similar styled icons and very
short names the appearance will be dramatically better

> > * Demo data: also the demo data, preinstalled photos, pdfs, files to demo
> > the device capabilities should be already installed, do demo it as easily
> > as possible and should look the same as much as possible (so a storyline
> > for a demo should be agreed upon?)
>
> yes, and this should be a separate thing from the default packages. the
> easiest thing would be a separate package in the plasma active repo that a
> demo person can install.

only concern is that both setups, demo and end user should get enough testing,
other than that yeah, could make sense
wonder if the default setup should have an home really empty or include some
example data anyways

> > * platform specific problems/gripes: there are still some problems that
> > happens only on one of the two, like no multitouch for suse, no network
> > management, weird behaving touch events and outdated opengl on meego..
> > some of those probably is possible to fix some other will have to stay
>
> perhaps we should focus on our own issues first and go after the deeper
> integration problems across the OS once we've run out of things to clean up
> in our own code.
>
> some additional thoughts on technical needs:
>
> * the launch feedback must become a KWin effect
> * the locker screen must also become a KWin effect

there were talks to make such also the keyboard?

> * changes to libplasmaclock in master of kde-workspace are needed
exactly for what? a different calendar?
or could be just a little different clock that lauches korganizer or something
when clicked?

> * default panel layout needs adjusting (status icons on the left, clock in
> the center, SLC on the right)

don't have strong opinion, once agreed i can do that

> * we need a roadmap for the recommendations feature being polished
> * we need more backends for SLC
at least one web service, yeah