getting images together for 1.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 31 08:15:49 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 18:38:24 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 August 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 15:07:06 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > a very important thing for 1.0 is the final demo image since the project
> > > mostly will be judged from the finished, ready to run system.
> >
> > yes; and in that vein i think we need to shift from thinking "demo" to
> > thinking "product". we can include a set of demo configurations that
> > people
> > doing demos can put on their tablet. but the defaults ought to be for
> > actual usage for our users .
>
> yeah, a welcome activity with links to a guide and a video and max 2 other
> activities

what would the other activities be?

a welcome activity has a clear purpose: a place to collect helpful starting
points (bookmarks to community forums, news feed for plasma active?) and a
"let's get you started by saying hello and introducing you to the basic
elements of Plasma Active"

> > related: the Active Browser, Active Image Viewer, etc. names need to
> > change
> > imho. just Web Browser, Image Viewer, etc. should be good enough. the user
> > doesn't care that they are "Active", no?
>
> mind reading at work, since yesterday the user facing name is "Images" and
> "Browser" (chose a single word for how much better the layout looks with
> very short names)

awesome :)

> if we manage to have a page of applications with similar styled icons and
> very short names the appearance will be dramatically better

+1

> > yes, and this should be a separate thing from the default packages. the
> > easiest thing would be a separate package in the plasma active repo that a
> > demo person can install.
>
> only concern is that both setups, demo and end user should get enough
> testing, other than that yeah, could make sense

demo testing is something those of us doing demos need to do. it's not
something our users should be doing. they should be testing the real thing.

> wonder if the default setup should have an home really empty or include some
> example data anyways

what sort of example data? some devices do indeed come with some sample videos
and audio clips to show that, indeed, they can and do play such stuff nicely
;) i'm not opposed to the idea of providing some default media and/or
information (ebooks, manuals, etc) after all that's essentially what the pre-
installed applications are on the image as well. we should, however, be sure
there is a clear purpose to them other than "we can and we don't want it to
look empty at first".

> > some additional thoughts on technical needs:
> >
> > * the launch feedback must become a KWin effect
> > * the locker screen must also become a KWin effect
>
> there were talks to make such also the keyboard?

yes.. that also needs doing.

> > * changes to libplasmaclock in master of kde-workspace are needed
>
> exactly for what? a different calendar?

to allow turning off the calendar altogether.

> or could be just a little different clock that lauches korganizer or
> something when clicked?

*insert usual speech about duplicating code just because*

in 4.8 there is supposedly going to be alarm support in kdepimlibs. or so
sayeth the kalarm hacker. once that's there, then it might make sense to pull
up a simple alarms system, which is what most clocks on these devices do (and
perhaps from there the ability to jump to full-on kontact touch calendar)

> > * default panel layout needs adjusting (status icons on the left, clock in
> > the center, SLC on the right)
>
> don't have strong opinion, once agreed i can do that

you and i had already talked about it and i though we'd pooled out ideas and
agreed; who else do you want to agree to it before starting to work on it?

humru othro a kohnu se