Plasma Active Roadmap

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Aug 13 00:13:40 UTC 2011

On Saturday, August 13, 2011 01:06:34 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday, August 12, 2011 12:01:45 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Calligra Active is a subset of Plasma Active. Following discussions with
> > Aaron, we decided to sit down and make kind of a roadmap with prioritized
> > features for Calligra Active. I'll add it to the community wiki as well.
> >
> > After discussion with the maintainer, Shantanu, we arrived at this:
> >
> > Mission statement:
> >
> > The first release of Calligra Active will be a capable, performant
> > document, finger-friendly viewer for tablets that can pan and zoom
> > smoothly and display office documents but not PDF.

> > For the first release (with Calligra 2.4), open tasks are:

Do you already have any dates in mind for the 2.4 release? We're planning
Plasma Active One for October, so it's probably a good idea to think what we
can do until then. We could ship calligra active as some kind of techpreview
with then, for example. If we make clear that it's not stabilized yet, but an
Alpha or whatever we want to call it then, is still quite useful to have. What
do you think about this?

In the OS integration track we have for Balsam done, and we can easily push
out updates. The packages are built with the active flag in the KDE:Active
repository, those are 32bits x86 builds. This makes it easy to test on the
device, you can just install calligra and will get the Active version.

Calligra performas pretty well on the devices I've worked with. UI / touch
integration lacks a bit here and there, but it's basically really stable and
already a high quality app. Two things that spring to my mind that would be
nice improvements:
- touched up layout of the welcome page, the lists look useful, but are
currently a bit uninviting. Technically not really complicated and something
like adding a nice page title would probably already go a long way. Adding
Documents from Nepomuk there as well.
- we need to make sure it become the default app for documents throughout the
UI, so tap on documents belonging to an activity in Contour open nicely in the
suitable Calligra app. This also doesn't sound complicated, but I haven't
checked yet.

sebas