Calligra Active Roadmap

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Aug 13 08:37:35 UTC 2011

On Saturday 13 August 2011 Aug, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> Do you already have any dates in mind for the 2.4 release? We're planning
> Plasma Active One for October, so it's probably a good idea to think what we
> can do until then.

Yes... October is our beta phase, with a release in November or December. Much depends on the development of the desktop version.

> We could ship calligra active as some kind of techpreview
> with then, for example. If we make clear that it's not stabilized yet, but an
> Alpha or whatever we want to call it then, is still quite useful to have. What
> do you think about this?

That will probably be necessary.

> In the OS integration track we have for Balsam done, and we can easily push
> out updates. The packages are built with the active flag in the KDE:Active
> repository, those are 32bits x86 builds. This makes it easy to test on the
> device, you can just install calligra and will get the Active version.
>
> Calligra performas pretty well on the devices I've worked with. UI / touch
> integration lacks a bit here and there, but it's basically really stable and
> already a high quality app. Two things that spring to my mind that would be
> nice improvements:
> - touched up layout of the welcome page, the lists look useful, but are
> currently a bit uninviting. Technically not really complicated and something
> like adding a nice page title would probably already go a long way. Adding
> Documents from Nepomuk there as well.

I think that's shantanu's top priority. All the other things (find, select, copy) aren't that urgent, but getting the documents in is :-).

> - we need to make sure it become the default app for documents throughout the
> UI, so tap on documents belonging to an activity in Contour open nicely in the
> suitable Calligra app. This also doesn't sound complicated, but I haven't
> checked yet.

I don't know how the contour/plasma active system works really, but if it's similar to KDE itself, then it's just a matter of configuring the associated app priority correctly :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt