Plasma Active Roadmap

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Aug 12 23:06:34 UTC 2011

Hey all,

On Friday, August 12, 2011 12:01:45 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Calligra Active is a subset of Plasma Active. Following discussions with
> Aaron, we decided to sit down and make kind of a roadmap with prioritized
> features for Calligra Active. I'll add it to the community wiki as well.
>
> After discussion with the maintainer, Shantanu, we arrived at this:
>
> Mission statement:
>
> The first release of Calligra Active will be a capable, performant document,
> finger-friendly viewer for tablets that can pan and zoom smoothly and
> display office documents but not PDF.

Awesome. I think this complements the Plasma Active vision very nicely. Did
you think about goals such as "elegance" and "desirability" of the UI? I chose
desirability as goal in Plasma Active's vision statement because it gives the
user's angle, instead of more technical bits. Performance, finger-friendliness
both serve this goal I think. Just a thought though. :)

I've added pointers to Calligra Active to the Plasma Active wiki pages.

> For the first release (with Calligra 2.4), open tasks are:
>
>     * integreation with the desktop search system

This should be very straight-forward. Looking at the startup page of calligra
active, which displays recent documents right now, one could easily add
Document Resources through the metadata dataengine, and use our QML
ResourceDelegate to display them and kick them off. (Also nicely solves the
first-time start bug where there are no recent documents, so nothing to choose
from.

Ping me for details, or look at kde:plasma-mobile/containments/webdashboard
for an example how this can be used.

>     * include a presentation mode (needs some hacking in stage itself to
> reuse stage's presentation mode)

> 		 * support search
>     * support select
>     * support copy
>
> Long term goals are:
>
>     * support PDF (unless plasma active already has a finger-friend pdf
> viewer, we intend to use the same frontend for finding documents, and
> poppler for display)
> 		 * support editing of text
>     * support editing of graphics

I think it makes a lot of sense to do it in two stages, and not wanting to put
things that are potentially pretty complicated to do well.

Thanks for the updates :)
--
sebas