Plasm 6.1 Kickoff Meeting notes

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at petsovits.com
Wed Mar 13 18:14:00 GMT 2024

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024, at 9:57 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 9:32 AM Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Tentative idea:
>>   - 6.1 in June
>>   - Two Betas
>>   - Slightly extend support window for the release to avoid gap between
>> 6.1 ending and distros picking up 6.2
>>   - Needs coordination with distros before finalizing
>>

> I know we've discussed this in a few avenues before, but I'll continue
> to suggest January/July to have the beta releases and February/August
> for the final releases. This lines up with Fedora, Kubuntu, and
> openSUSE cutoffs in their release schedules.
>
> (And while I think we shouldn't do Plasma LTS releases, since we are,
> I think those should be done in the "spring" Plasma releases to align
> with Kubuntu LTS and openSUSE Leap schedules.)

If the Plasma team is set on kicking off the 6.x cycle with a June release, we could theoretically keep up the 4-month cycle for two more releases, October and (early to mid rather than late) February. Then switch to the 6-month cycle that's been previously considered.

Knowing that the October release will miss most users that aren't on a rolling distro, and 6.1 for semi-annual upgraders will be missing out on two months of development that we could get from an August release.

- Jakob