Plasm 6.1 Kickoff Meeting notes

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 01:57:16 GMT 2024

On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 9:32 AM Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella at gmx.de> wrote:

> # Plasma 6.1 kickoff meeting notes

Hey sorry folks, I wasn't able to make it because I'm in California
this week and that resulted in it being too early for me.

> ## 6.0 retrospective
>
> Generally well received# Plasma 6.1 kickoff meeting notes
>
> ## 6.0 retrospective
>
> Generally well received
>
> Problems:
> - Neon's rollout was/still is bumpy. Needs retrospective from Neon
> developers on what happend
> - Nvidia:
>      - Missing configuration to enable modesetting (downstream issue)

At least in RPM Fusion (for Fedora), the driver package patches the
defaults to enable modesetting by default:
http://pkgs.rpmfusion.org/cgit/nonfree/nvidia-kmod.git/tree/make_modeset_default.patch

Maybe this needs to be recommended to distributors that offer the NVIDIA driver.

>      - Missing implicit sync makes XWayland glitchy (upstream issue).
> Potentially backportable patches exist
>      - Resume from suspend broken. Some kernel-level thing exists
> (NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations), needs research/documentation
>
> ## 6.1 release planning
>
> Idea: Keep the megarelese? No strong benefit, unless there was a unified
> LTS release

The MegaRelease has been incredibly valuable from the Fedora
perspective because it gives us a collection of things that we can
reasonably expect to qualify and coordinate with upstream on. I would
personally like to see this continue for feature releases.

> Goals for the release planning:
>   - Keep time to next feature release short to allow for gaps in
> (Wayland) feature set to close quickly
>   - Align with fall/October releases of distros
>   - More extensive beta releases
>
> Tentative idea:
>   - 6.1 in June
>   - Two Betas
>   - Slightly extend support window for the release to avoid gap between
> 6.1 ending and distros picking up 6.2
>   - Needs coordination with distros before finalizing

I know we've discussed this in a few avenues before, but I'll continue
to suggest January/July to have the beta releases and February/August
for the final releases. This lines up with Fedora, Kubuntu, and
openSUSE cutoffs in their release schedules.

(And while I think we shouldn't do Plasma LTS releases, since we are,
I think those should be done in the "spring" Plasma releases to align
with Kubuntu LTS and openSUSE Leap schedules.)

> Dependencies (business as usual):
>   - Qt 6.7
>   - Frameworks as of Beta date
>
> Feature/work item ideas:
>   - David R: Emulated Input integration
>   - Marco: Work on tiling features, folderview refactoring
>   - Nico: Wayland a11y and graphics tablet work, QML tooling
>   - Kai: New Fonts KCM/tools
>   - Vlad: Work on Rendering in KWin
>   - Jakob: Mouse gestures, per-monitor brightness
>   - Niccolo: Floating dialogs, icons, 2D gestures

This is all very exciting stuff! I think Xaver mentioned that he's
looking at getting the xdg-color-management protocol implemented, and
David E had talked to me about session management stuff. Are those
still in the cards for 6.1?

> # Sprint
>
> We want a sprint sometime soon. There's a megasprint planned for April,
> avoid doing something too close to it to avoid travel overload.
>
> Summer might be a better time.
>
> Needs someone to volounteer organizing

Thanks for the minutes on this meeting. :)