KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/battery

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Jun 6 12:34:33 CEST 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009 12:01:26 David Nolden wrote:
> Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 03:02:37 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > SVN commit 978089 by sebas:
> >
> > showing the remaining time is now opt-in for geeks
> >
> > - Only show the time in the popup when m_showRemainingTime is true
> > - m_showRemainingTime can still be set manually in the config file
> > - Removed options from the config UI
> >
> > I've disabled this feature for now since it doesn't work well enough
> > in a lot of cases. For those that really can't live without that
> > information, you can still enable it in the config, add a line such
> > as:
> >
> > showRemainingTime=false
> >
> > in the applet's configuration, and it comes back (as unreliable as
> > this information actually is).
> >
> > CCMAIL:plasma-devel at kde.org
>
> Why did you do this? From what I see, it should be "opt-out for geeks". To
> sum up the discussion we had:
>
> 90% Pro remaining time
> 5% Neutral
> 5% Con

Design and democracy have very little in common with each other. Sorry to
break this news.

> Especially note that every "user" involved (Either directly or by 2nd
> person report) was Pro, and the usability expert as well.
>
> The arguments from all sides were the same again and again, but the result
> was:
> - Aaron thinks it's not good enough
> - Everyone else thinks it is good enough

Re-read the archives if you still think that is the case.

> So let Aaron disable it using a config-file, and don't cripple the user-
> experience for the others.

It's not about Aaron, it's about all kinds of users. And yes, I like this
feature as well, and would like to use it.

That doesn't mean that we can confront the average user with it, to create a
good desktop, we need coherence and *one* strong vision. Even if, in some
detail I do not agree with something, I'm not willing to give up this overall
consistency for my pet peeve feature.

In fact, users like me and you who on the one side know that the time reported
can never be accurate can also easily change it back. Therefore opt-in.
--
sebas