KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/battery

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sat Jun 6 12:01:26 CEST 2009

Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 03:02:37 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> SVN commit 978089 by sebas:
>
> showing the remaining time is now opt-in for geeks
>
> - Only show the time in the popup when m_showRemainingTime is true
> - m_showRemainingTime can still be set manually in the config file
> - Removed options from the config UI
>
> I've disabled this feature for now since it doesn't work well enough
> in a lot of cases. For those that really can't live without that
> information, you can still enable it in the config, add a line such
> as:
>
> showRemainingTime=false
>
> in the applet's configuration, and it comes back (as unreliable as
> this information actually is).
>
> CCMAIL:plasma-devel at kde.org
Why did you do this? From what I see, it should be "opt-out for geeks". To sum
up the discussion we had:

90% Pro remaining time
5% Neutral
5% Con

Especially note that every "user" involved (Either directly or by 2nd person
report) was Pro, and the usability expert as well.

The arguments from all sides were the same again and again, but the result
was:
- Aaron thinks it's not good enough
- Everyone else thinks it is good enough

So let Aaron disable it using a config-file, and don't cripple the user-
experience for the others.