[Ktechlab-devel] filter problem.

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:08:36 UTC 2012

 Hi,

in order to do analysis on this schematic, you need to define the
input and output impedance seen by the inputs and outputs of the
circuit. Considering that you have put there buffer-s, I assume that
the output of the buffer is practically zero, and the input is
infinity.

In order to calculate the circuit, you can take the Fourier transform
of the elements and solve those as a normal circuit. The results can
be also plotted. In this case, the circuit will look like:

        600ohm (ish)    1 / (j*w*C1)
BUFFER>--^^^^----+------||------+---------BUFFER>---O v_out_h
v_in            |              |
                |              3
                |              3 j*w*L1
                |              3
                |              |
                |              =
                |     j*w*L2
                +----nnnn------+---------BUFFER>---O v_out_low

                              ___
                              ---   1/ (j*w*C2)

                               =

where

j*j = -1 ; the imaginary number
w = 2*pi*f, the angular frequency; f is the frequency in Hz

Based on this schematic you can get the transfer functions

v_out_h / v_in
and
v_out_l / v_in

And when you have those, you can calculate the components.

Your circuit will have 40dB/decade attenuation, because it's a
second-order filter (RLC).

See more details on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit