[Ktechlab-devel] filter problem.

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 21 04:14:53 UTC 2012

I want a 2-output filter for an active/electronic crossover. I want the
crossover frequency to be 2,250 ohms.

I'm considering a passive filter network between three buffers.
Inductors are to be preferred over resistors.

The sketch I have is

	 600ohm (ish)    C1
BUFFER>--^^^^----+------||------+---------BUFFER>---O
		 |             	|
		 |		3
		 |		3 L1
		 |		3
		 |		|
		 |		=
		 |     L2
		 +----nnnn------+---------BUFFER>---O

			       ___
			       ---  C2

				=

I figure that the HPF and LPF will load down the resistor so that the
total load will be fairly constant. I'm not sure what other interactions
will take place though. =\ The filter sections might need some
additional loading or how to analyze the circuit further. I usually do
basic reactance computations but this requires a more thorough analysis.

As an audiophile I'm always trying to minimize the parts count, without
consideration of the price of individual parts.

The other concern is whether the filter will roll off the tweeter
steeply enough... It is very important that tweets aren't overloaded or
passed too much LF, this is a fairly low crossover point (stock is about
2450...)

--
E T F
N H E