[Ktechlab-devel] A random thought that made me smile (and another point in favour of GUI separation)

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 16 19:11:45 UTC 2009

Matthew Ayres wrote:
> I like the suggestion of SVG graphics, especially as the SVG standard
> has official room for customisation which may be useful.  I would be
> happy to build up a library of graphics, if that meets with approval.

I read the wikipedia entry on that. Okay, so it's an XML format... I
have not been able to find any authoring tools yet (much less figured
out how to use them...)

It is very reasonable to do this prior to the KDE4 port because the
existing code does essentially the same thing in QT3 calls written in
C++. Converting these to SVG sounds very reasonable. I just don't know
how to do it myself. =P

For one thing, this conversion would remove a ton of Qt3 calls, and lots
of dodgy code.

There are some places where the shape of the component needs to be
responsive to the configuration of the part. It seems reasonable that
dynamically generating/editing the SVG in those cases should work.

One thing I would like to see is the standard ---/\/\/\/--resistor
symbol in place of the existing box shape.

Let me know what you need to move forward with this.

> How about a discussion thread to agree on what the interface for a
> base component class should be?

I'm not sure what you mean.

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.