[Ktechlab-devel] A random thought that made me smile (and another point in favour of GUI separation)

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Mon Nov 16 17:21:38 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 November 2009 17:46:22 Matthew Ayres wrote:
> > Right, QGraphicsView is the way to go. I did some research in this sector
> > and tried to solve this issue using kde's plasma. As it seemed quite
> > promising in the first place, I cancelled that approach and will
> > investigate into a more direct approach using QGraphicsView directly. I
> > already got some testing code, but since the component model is somewhat
> > flawed in it's actual
> > implementation, most of the components need to be rewritten and new
> > graphics (preferebly in svg-format) need to be created.
>
> I like the suggestion of SVG graphics, especially as the SVG standard
> has official room for customisation which may be useful.  I would be
> happy to build up a library of graphics, if that meets with approval.
I gave that some thoughts and have a picture in mind, how to do this. There is
already some code, but that still needs some work (I mentioned that earlier,
today). I started implementation based on Plasma, which didn't work well.
However, I created some svg-files for testing purposes. You can find them in
the git-repo, I am using:

https://krtek.asta.uni-
luebeck.de/repos/KTechLab/tree/src/plugins/passive/themes/default/components?h=kde4-
playground

Since plasma is themeable, I tried to represent this in the directory
structure. This is most likely to be changed.

> How about a discussion thread to agree on what the interface for a
> base component class should be?
Sounds good. I will start a wiki-page, documenting, what I found out during my
research. I'm not sure, if I can finish it this evening, but I will do so
tomorrow in the morning (my timezone is GMT+1).

bye
julian