[Ktechlab-devel] Dependencies, setting up tools and task

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Tue Dec 22 16:09:53 UTC 2009

Moin,

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 02:17:20 P Zoltan wrote:
> - Aproximately what are the dependencies of the qt4 version of ktechlab?
> Do we need a specific (greater than X) version of kdevplatform? I'm asking
> because we should state those in the wiki, in the compiling section, and
> also I have kde4 to install somehow (*)
I used beta6 API to develop most of the functionality, IIRC. Since
KDevPlatform isn't released (yet), I suggest, we should depend on the 1.0 API,
which will be released in February. This one will depend on KDE 4.4 and Qt4.6.
I suggest to use that, too. For now, it compiles fine against KDE 4.3 and Qt
4.5. (May be, even earlier versions, didn't try that.) Qt 4.6 ships some
really shiny changes within the GraphicsView-Framework, which is, why I'd like
to depend on it. I don't know, what the distributions ship ATM and if it would
be wise to stick to older versions, for some time. I'm afraid, it could take
still some time to finish porting of every feature to KDE4 and by the time, we
are ready, every major distribution might ship the required versions, too.

> - It might be useful to know each other's workflow, so for example Alan
> commits in SVN, I plan to use Git; maybe how to edit / compile / debug...
I think, I'll write about my workflow in a separate mail, because, I guess, I
have quite something to tell... ;)

> - Considering that here are several developers, we should work on
> different tasks in parallel, in order to be more efficient. We should
> definitevly discuss about this. Personally I wanto to have the current
> kde4 version running, then add some helping test applications / test cases.
Sounds great. That's too complex, for me, now. We should start a separate
thread about that... I am working on project-management (meaning porting to
KDevPlatform) and circuits (-management and -visualisation). The flow-code
part is still open. It's quite similar to the work I have done for circuits,
but I want to finish one part, before starting another.

> (*) Currently I'm using 2 distributions, one is ubuntu 8.04 (LTS), which
> has only kde 4.1 packages avaliable -- kdevplatform needs at least kde
> 4.2. I'm wating to upgrade to 10.04. The other (noname) distribution has
> programs about the same age as ubuntu, kde 3.5 only; I want to make some
> packages, but that seems to be tricky and time consuming. I'm waiting for
> a clean solution.
I see. When will 10.04 be shipped? This one should contain a recent version of
KDE, I guess. So this should be fine. Anyway. We should think about having a
stable set of API calls, when we are nearly finished with porting. If we now
start sticking to old versions, we will soon have the same problems, we have
got now and start porting again :-S (Okay, this shouldn't be comparable to the
work necessary for the KDE4 port, but anyway. We should look into the
future;))

bye for now
julian