[Ktechlab-devel] New here, trying to understand and maybe to contribute

Vincent Nikkelen vincent.nikkelen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 18:33:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

>> So, if you think you can use a helping hand, please let me know.

> Dude, the open source community is the exact opposite of the work world.
> There is no such thing as permission or job interviews or anything like
> that. I never got permission to even look at the code and now I'm the
> manager of the analog simulators. =P

I know :-)  was just hoping somebody took the bait and told me in which area I could help out that would classify as a kind of 'janitor' job. This project is rather complex if you're new to it and as Zoltan already pointed out in an other post that info is spread around (thanks btw).

Btw, SVN compiles fine on OpenSuSE 11.1, 64bit. (Btw, some older posts talk about verison 0.3.7, SVN announces itself as 0.4.0.)

The KDE4 port (found this in an older posing, hosted on private GIT) stops compiling after a while with the info (Didn't check my configuration yet, maybe my fault):

***
[ 15%] Building CXX object src/shell/CMakeFiles/ktlshell.dir/plugincontroller.o
/home/vincent/Code/kde4/ktechlab/src/shell/plugincontroller.cpp: In constructor ‘KTechLab::PluginController::PluginController(KTechLab::Core*)’:
/home/vincent/Code/kde4/ktechlab/src/shell/plugincontroller.cpp:147: error: no matching function for call to ‘QList<KPluginInfo>::append(QList<KPluginInfo>)’
/usr/include/QtCore/qlist.h:414: note: candidates are: void QList<T>::append(const T&) [with T = KPluginInfo]
make[2]: *** [src/shell/CMakeFiles/ktlshell.dir/plugincontroller.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/shell/CMakeFiles/ktlshell.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
***

> The version of gspeakers on sourceforge has succumb to extreme bitrot, I
> have a version on my HD that isn't so far gone if you need it.

Interesting. Had a look into it and the version from sourceforge compiled almost out of the box. The file 'decomp' had a hardcoded 'automake-version' in it and some files only needed '#include <string.h> added in the header. After that it compiled fine using GCC-4.3.2.

Anyway, still open for recommendations regarding what I could do. This could include coding, HTML, testing or QA. I'm open for suggestions, but keep it simple as a start. (As I'm not a native English speaker, documentation is probably out of my league)

Regards,
Vincent