[Ktechlab-devel] New here, trying to understand and maybe to contribute

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 19 17:52:24 UTC 2009

> Anyway, still open for recommendations regarding what I could do. This
> could include coding, HTML, testing or QA. I'm open for suggestions, but
> keep it simple as a start. (As I'm not a native English speaker,
> documentation is probably out of my league)

That's a good question...

I suggest loading the code into kdevelop, pick a part of the code that
interests you and start doing peephole cleanups on it. Don't start out
with major refactorings but see what you can do to tidy up the classes,
remove unused or unnecessary variables and such... One major project is
to make the entire code "const correct" which should improve speed and
reliability more. I've already done much of that work so the code
already is quite reliable (surprisingly enough), but it does have some
major problems. For example on my machine significant parts of the GUI
simply don't build. I can still work with what does build but figuring
out the underlying issues would certainly help.

The more difficult problems that I consider high priority include paving
the way to doing true AC/frequency domain analysis as well as sequential
DC analysis, possibly using the gnucap engine. A major redesign of the
class Component is required to support a true parts database. This is
essential to making sure the code is maintainable in the future.

Lots of other stuff I mentioned previously.

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.