[Ktechlab-devel] simulator

Gopala Krishna krishna.ggk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:36:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Glen <gcanaday at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> I have no idea who should be elected to head it up. Julian has admin,
> doesn't he? I'm still unsure of who has what. Should there be an election?
>
> I'm not the right guy to ask about the semantics of running in both pure
> KDE3 and KDE4 environments.
>
> I'm getting more out of KDE4 atm than I was two days ago (thx,
> Lawrence!) but I don't know anything at all about developing for it. Is
> there a way of running KDE4 programs on 3? I'm sure there's a
> KDE3-compat runtime environment in 4, or half the apps that ship with it
> wouldn't run.

Yes, you definitely can run kde4 apps on kde3.  Check out the techbase
article at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Increased_Productivity_in_KDE4_with_Scripts

The new cd function is really class, which automatically changes the
environment variables to that of KDE4 or kde3 based on the current
directory.

In short you need to set the following environment variables
appropriately to execute kde4 apps. (which the cd function
encapsulates)

>From techbase
-----------------------------------
This lists all the environment variables you should set, for instance
in $KDESRC/4/.my-setup
[edit] Qt

export QTDIR=/d/qt/4/qt-copy
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

[edit] KDE

export KDEDIR=/d/kde/inst/kde4
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib/kde4/plugins
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR

[edit] User

export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde4

[edit] Others