[Ktechlab-devel] The biggest technical issue

Mauricio Giovagnini maugiovagnini at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 26 11:35:30 UTC 2008

Alan Grimes escribió:
> first off, I hate C++. Normally you'd think that all you have to do is
> to remember to delete what you allocate, noooo, you not only have to
> remember to delete your stuff but you also need to keep track of HOW you
> allocated it. There's a bug in my Qmatrix class, and possibly Qvector
> too where I just deleted the darn arrays, I think I was supposed to
> delete[] them.... Huge difference -- in C++. =(
>
> That much is trivial.

I agree, Java makes a better approach for that with its
garbage collector.  Anyway c/c++ is theorically more close
to the hardware (not framework involved) and its executables
should perform better.

> The biggest issue is that everyone wants more parts yet the approach
> Ktechlab currently uses to implement parts is not scalable. =( If you
> want to see what I mean by this, use kdevelop's "class inheritance
> diagram" feature to look at the "picinfo" tree. That one class has
> roughly fifty children and it's descendants are nested as much as 7
> levels deep!
>
> Right now the approach is that whenever anyone wants anything
> implemented, what happens is that several classes are developed and
> added to the package. This creates a maintainance nightmare. =\
>
> The solution I proposed was to move to a database driven parts library,
> where parts are loaded at runtime from a library of XML files which can
> be added and tweaked by the user without having to recompile the entire
> program.
>
> The problem is that implementing this functionality will require a great
> deal of work. For one thing, the simulation model of each component
> would have to be compiled from code embedded in the XML file.

Your approach sounds pretty logical to me.  Its seems to be
how other EDA softwares work and the user can even edit and
customize components to fit their needs.

I can't add anything as I'm not used to the internal
simulation characteristics of Ktechlab but is there anything
like Spice involved?

--
Mauricio Giovagnini (Maunix)