[Ktechlab-devel] The biggest technical issue

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sun May 25 18:47:14 UTC 2008

first off, I hate C++. Normally you'd think that all you have to do is
to remember to delete what you allocate, noooo, you not only have to
remember to delete your stuff but you also need to keep track of HOW you
allocated it. There's a bug in my Qmatrix class, and possibly Qvector
too where I just deleted the darn arrays, I think I was supposed to
delete[] them.... Huge difference -- in C++. =(

That much is trivial.

The biggest issue is that everyone wants more parts yet the approach
Ktechlab currently uses to implement parts is not scalable. =( If you
want to see what I mean by this, use kdevelop's "class inheritance
diagram" feature to look at the "picinfo" tree. That one class has
roughly fifty children and it's descendants are nested as much as 7
levels deep!

Right now the approach is that whenever anyone wants anything
implemented, what happens is that several classes are developed and
added to the package. This creates a maintainance nightmare. =\

The solution I proposed was to move to a database driven parts library,
where parts are loaded at runtime from a library of XML files which can
be added and tweaked by the user without having to recompile the entire
program.

The problem is that implementing this functionality will require a great
deal of work. For one thing, the simulation model of each component
would have to be compiled from code embedded in the XML file.

--
Ron Paul: A man of Peace.
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.