[Ktechlab-devel] about source code management (was: Node refactoring, second patch)

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Sun Aug 31 13:36:50 UTC 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008 15:23:38 P Zoltan wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 21:55:43 +0200, Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net>
>
> wrote:
> >>  I'm waiting for feedback :D
> >
> > keep up the good work. This type of work will be critical to pushing
> > Ktechlab forward in the future.
> >
> > Also, see about getting a SVN account.
>
>   I've sent a message to Jason Lucas about this, so I hope I will get an
> account sooner or later.
I have just been about to do that..... So now I don't need to do that any
longer ;)

>   The problem is that in most part of the year I have an Internet
> connection through a firewall which blocks almost everything -- SVN is
> blocked, too. Sending patches with mail works anyway.
What a pitty. The point is, that svn doesn't respect the person who wrote the
patch, but only the one who does the commit. We could work-around that by
adding a "patch by" comment in the commit message, but I don't know if this is
a good way to go.

>   In my opinion, sending patches has another advantage: knowing that your
> changes will be read by others, you don't want to make
> ugly/hacky/unreadable things in the patch.
At least I for myself read the commit logs and review all the patches that go
into svn. That is also a very good way to stay up to date with the code-base.

I see the advantage of patch-based development because there is at least one
person that does a review of the patch, before it goes into the repository,
but svn isn't the right source code management tool to do that. That is also
the reason why the kde guys are discussing to switch to a distributed scm
system (most people want to see git, but also mercurial is a possible
candidate). If we want to have this patch-based development, we should
consider such a switch, too. This doesn't mean, we have to give up the
sourceforge svn repository. I am willing to host a git repository and do all
the merging stuff with svn. This way Alan can go on commiting directly into
the svn and you can send patches to the list. I can push them into the git
repo and sync this to svn. The only thing you have to change is creating your
patches with the git patch utility. This makes sure your name shows up as the
original author of the patch.

As I mentioned before, I'd like to see ktechlab to be part of the kdeedu
project some day. If the kde guys do the switch to git, we already have the
whole project history in a compatible format to make the merging with their
repository easy.

What do you think?

bye then
julian