[Ktechlab-devel] about source code management (was: Node refactoring, second patch)

P Zoltan zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 15:26:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:36:50 +0200, Julian Bäume <julian at svg4all.de> wrote:

>>   The problem is that in most part of the year I have an Internet
>> connection through a firewall which blocks almost everything -- SVN is
>> blocked, too. Sending patches with mail works anyway.
> What a pitty. The point is, that svn doesn't respect the person who
> wrote the
> patch, but only the one who does the commit. We could work-around that by
> adding a "patch by" comment in the commit message, but I don't know if
> this is
> a good way to go.

  A simpler solution: create and manage a new svn account and commit the
patches using that account.

>>   In my opinion, sending patches has another advantage: knowing that
>> your
>> changes will be read by others, you don't want to make
>> ugly/hacky/unreadable things in the patch.
> At least I for myself read the commit logs and review all the patches
> that go
> into svn. That is also a very good way to stay up to date with the
> code-base.

  I want to see those logs too...

  What about creating a ktechlab-commits list, where commit logs are
automatically sent after each commit?

> I see the advantage of patch-based development because there is at least
> one
> person that does a review of the patch, before it goes into the
> repository,
> but svn isn't the right source code management tool to do that. That is
> also
> the reason why the kde guys are discussing to switch to a distributed scm
> system (most people want to see git, but also mercurial is a possible
> candidate). If we want to have this patch-based development, we should
> consider such a switch, too. This doesn't mean, we have to give up the
> sourceforge svn repository. I am willing to host a git repository and do
> all
> the merging stuff with svn. This way Alan can go on commiting directly
> into
> the svn and you can send patches to the list. I can push them into the
> git
> repo and sync this to svn.

  This isn't conform with the Keep It Simple principle :)

> The only thing you have to change is creating your
> patches with the git patch utility. This makes sure your name shows up
> as the
> original author of the patch.
>
> As I mentioned before, I'd like to see ktechlab to be part of the kdeedu
> project some day. If the kde guys do the switch to git, we already have
> the
> whole project history in a compatible format to make the merging with
> their
> repository easy.
>
> What do you think?

  I think we should switch only when kdeedu does. It's a low priority
problem (for now). There are only a few developers in this project, so
reviewing patches doesn't worth the effort; reading the commit logs should
be enough.

> bye then
> julian

  Zoltan