D24805: Add ENABLE_CCACHE option (default=off)

Konstantin Kharlamov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Oct 20 19:12:45 BST 2019

hiangel added a comment.

  > Packagers like default switches and no surprises. If it is clear that ECM uses ccache, and it provides a standard switch to enable or disable it, then this is perfectly fine.

  I agree that the more standardized the better. But there always are options that only exists for one apps and not for others. This is one of them. The question is: how important it is that it's enabled by default? What does it affect?

  For this one:

  > some package manager already enables ccache for all packages if asked to

  I can answer that running `ccache ccache g++` works same way as just `ccache g++`; and either way, this is not a reason to disable it, but rather to add another check to the file.

  Do you have an example where having ccache on by default would cause a problem? When I asked what makes Konsole different from Mesa, libinput, etc, I was expecting to see an example.

  ----

  > If it is clear that ECM uses ccache, and it provides a standard switch to enable or disable it, then this is perfectly fine.

  Btw, I just figured that even if ECM agrees all packages should use `ccache` — what would happen then? I'm not sure that the task of adding `ccache` autodetection to all existing projects is that automatable. It would be a lot of merge requests, and who's gonna address review? And what to do if some requests were accepted, and then someone addresses review to modify the changes: what to do with already accepted code…?

  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it sounds like something that may take looong, time, and sure I'd prefer to have Konsole builds to be more quick at that timespan.

REPOSITORY
  R319 Konsole

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D24805