basic qif questions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Aug 21 12:38:06 BST 2022

Anil,

On Sonntag, 21. August 2022 12:09:32 CEST Anil F Duggirala via KMyMoney wrote:

> hello everyone,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding qif import into my checking account.
> I created the account a couple of weeks ago and only added the opening
> balance. I would now like to import the transactions that have happened since
> that time, is it possible to do this with QIF?
> I was able to export the transactions in my desired date range from my bank.
> However, the exported qif shows its own Opening balance, which is equal to my
> current balance (balance at last date exported). Does that mean I should not
> have created the account initially and should just import the qif?
> However, the date format is really weird and I just don't know if this file is
> correct (year is being imported as 2002 instead of 2022).

Wow, that is really weird. Let me give it a try, though I have not dealt with
the details of QIF for more than a decade.

> !Type:Bank
> 	D08/12'22

Here, the date clearly says 2022.

> 	T6,299,147.58
> 	CX
> 	POpening Balance
> 	L[726-928049-08]
> 	^

It looks like it is relating to the starting balance of the download. I have
never seen that before. It will certainly raise a conflict, since you already
have an opening balance transaction. OTOH, the nice thing about the QIF
standard is that there are so many variants of it.

> D8/20' 2

That date is clearly wrong and the bank's fault. You should contact them.
Chances vary that this will be fixed.

> 	T8.70
> 	MABONO INTERESES AHORROS
> 	^

[...]

> Can anyone confirm if this file is correct?

Besides the date and opening balance issue, this looks like a valid QIF file
to import.

> If I already have an account, that has a name that is different to
> "726-928049-08", how would I import these transactions into that account?

Throw away the opening balance information all together using an editor.
That includes these lines:

> 	D08/12'22
> 	T6,299,147.58
> 	CX
> 	POpening Balance
> 	L[726-928049-08]
> 	^

Don't throw away the first (!Type:Bank) line. It is important for the importer.
Without the link to an existing account KMyMoney will ask you into which account
it should import the transactions. Also, you would have to adjust the date
somehow. Don't know, if a global search/replace is the right thing to do.

> How do I access the QIF Importer options?

They are available in the KMyMoney Settings/Plugin section with the QIF Importer
or QIF Exporter.

Hope that helps. If you have further questions, please let us know.

Mankind makes a lot of things wrong, but if you really want to
screw up, you need to use a computer! (Juergen von der Lippe - German comedian)