Categories without currency

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Jan 10 07:09:02 GMT 2021

On Samstag, 9. Januar 2021 20:45:53 CET Ivan Perez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using KMM to manage finances in multiple currencies, some of which
> include properties with their associates income (rent) and expenses
> (electricity, etc).
>
> I'm having an issue getting KMM to give me the information I need, or to
> help me find it. For example, I'm trying to find out all the income and
> expenses associated with a particular property, classified by category.
>
> Now, the property is indeed in EUR, but some of the expenses are for
> 'Utilities', which by default is in USD because that's where I actually
> live and some of my home expenses are in the same category, 'Utilities'.
>
> When I ask for a report for a EUR properrty that contains information on
> 'Utilities', KMM insists on showing me USD, but all the information in the
> particular report in question was originally in EUR. I'm aware of and have
> deselected the conversion to base currency.
>
> A related problem manifests when I try to enter expenses: if something is a
> charge for Utilities, KMM asks for currency exchange rates (and by default
> tries to update the current rate). But when I'm importing dozens or
> hundreds of transactions into KMM, the last thing I can cope with is
> constant interruptions to look up the exchange rate for the day (and if I
> press enter by mistake and accept the suggested exchange rate, I may
> completely mess up past calculations related to completely different
> transactions that happened on that date).
>
> I'm using KMM Version 5.1.1-ba2c445.

... which is the tagged 5.1.1 state.

> Is there any good way of dealing with this without having to create income
> and expense categories for EUR and for USD? (I'm working with 4 currencies
> in total, so this would x4 the number of categories and become pretty hard
> to work with).

Not sure. Can you setup a small sample file that shows us how you have setup
the accounts and contains a few sample transactions and explain what the reports
shall provide? Send it to us here, please?

Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to
support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)