Categories without currency

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 19:45:53 GMT 2021

Hi all,

I'm using KMM to manage finances in multiple currencies, some of which
include properties with their associates income (rent) and expenses
(electricity, etc).

I'm having an issue getting KMM to give me the information I need, or to
help me find it. For example, I'm trying to find out all the income and
expenses associated with a particular property, classified by category.

Now, the property is indeed in EUR, but some of the expenses are for
'Utilities', which by default is in USD because that's where I actually
live and some of my home expenses are in the same category, 'Utilities'.

When I ask for a report for a EUR properrty that contains information on
'Utilities', KMM insists on showing me USD, but all the information in the
particular report in question was originally in EUR. I'm aware of and have
deselected the conversion to base currency.

A related problem manifests when I try to enter expenses: if something is a
charge for Utilities, KMM asks for currency exchange rates (and by default
tries to update the current rate). But when I'm importing dozens or
hundreds of transactions into KMM, the last thing I can cope with is
constant interruptions to look up the exchange rate for the day (and if I
press enter by mistake and accept the suggested exchange rate, I may
completely mess up past calculations related to completely different
transactions that happened on that date).

I'm using KMM Version 5.1.1-ba2c445.

Is there any good way of dealing with this without having to create income
and expense categories for EUR and for USD? (I'm working with 4 currencies
in total, so this would x4 the number of categories and become pretty hard
to work with).

Many thanks,

Ivan