wizard y

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 24 22:05:34 GMT 2020

On 12/24/20 2:33 PM, Aaron Mehl wrote:
> Thank for the answer, however belated.
> Unfortunately, the historical answer wasn't what I was hoping for.
> As a user, I am given a number of ways to do the same thing, I want to
> know when to do one of them. Which is the best when I have window X
> already open etc.
> Otherwise, the wizard and one other option is all that is needed.
One issue is that different users have different preferences for how to
do things.  With experience, they also know how to poke around an
interface looking for what is available.  If they are looking through
menus, then having a keyboard shortcut may be discovered that way, but
would probably not have been an obvious thing to try first.  Some may
expect all "important" tasks to be available through a button on a task
bar.  Others prefer to read written instructions, in which case only one
way to do something might be enough.  So - you can certainly write
documentation for a naive user starting with only one way to do
something, and later introduce options, and how to enable/disable them
through the UI.  However, you can be sure you will eventually run into a
user who asks why you gave THAT WAY to do something since THIS OTHER WAY
is so much obviously better.
> The idea is that you don't need to remove the other options from the
> interface but rather they can be added by the use if they so desire.
> Once there is a shortcut available then the wizard can be for the
> first start, the menu item is sorta a default, as would be the right
> click context menu in the Accounts view pane. The rest a user can add
> as a customization.  If there is a task based reason for the other New
> As far as a shortcut, Cntrl N is taken, so maybe Alt +N
But why Alt-N instead of Shift-N or Meta-N or any other combination.
All are essentially arbitrary - so is there really much difference
between showing the user the menu selection, and then how to add a
keyboard shortcut of his own choice?
> BTW. I am in no way telling anyone how to develop the app, I just need
> to know how to write procedures, the help end users.
What I keep trying to point out is that no matter how you write it, in
order to keep it simple, you have to make choices, and just have to
accept that those choices make the doc better for some users, but not so
good for some others.  Hopefully you can find the one that will help the
most, but I still consider it essentially an arbitrary guess, perhaps
guided by some amount of surveying and study, but still essentially
arbitrary.
> lol,
> Aaron
Jack